Joyce Greenwood McBurney 2,48
- Born: 16 Oct 1899, Cameron, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 2,48,584
- Marriage: Harriet Muriel Brooks on 28 Dec 1922 in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 2,48,59
- Died: 8 Nov 1991, Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada at age 92 2,19,48
- Buried: 1991, Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada 19
Joyce's interests were baseball, hockey, poetry, civic affairs, and Ch urch.
Joyce was a source of a great deal of the McBurney Family history fo r Kim Mills.
Address: Riverside Cemetery
Hartney, Manitoba Canada
Noted events in his life were:
• 1901 Census of Canada, 24 Apr 1901. 261 Cameron, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Brandon, Cameron Municipality, Twp. 6, Rge. 23, W1, p. 11, lines 17-22 , Family 105;
Joyce, age 1, with father John J., age 40, mother Eliza, age 30, and b rothers Ernest, age 8, Reginald C., age 7, and Charles, age 6.
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 10 Jul 1906. 263 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Souris District, Hartney, Sec. 2, Twp. 6, Rge. 23, W1, p. 25 , lines 32-39, household 194;
Joyce, age 6, with father James, age 46, mother Elizabeth, age 36, an d siblings Earnest, age 14, Reginald, age 12, Charles, age 11, and Edi th, age 9 months, with Hired Man, Daniel Bird, age 19.
• 1911 Census of Canada: Sec. 2, Twp. 6, Rge. 23, W1, 1911. 264 Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Souris, p. 3, lines 11-18, household 24;
Joyce, age 11, with farher John, age 51, mother Elizabeth Jane, age 41 , and siblings Ernest, age 19, Reginald, age 17, Charles, age 16, an d Edith, age 5, with domestic Jean Mccos, age 22.
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 1916. 265 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Souris District, Hartney Village, p. 8, lines 38-45, househo ld 89;
Joyce, age 15, with father John James, age 56, mother Elizabeth, age 4 6, and siblings Ernest, age 24, Reginald, age 22, Charles, age 21, Edi th, age 10 and Russel James, age 3.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921. 266 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Souris District, Sec. 2, Twp. 6, Rge. 23, W1, p. 6, lines 14 -20, household 53;
Joyce G., age 21, with father John James, age 61, and siblings Edith , age 15, and James R., age 7, with servants James Shephard, age 20, M ona Fracis, age 22, and lodger Francis Fracis, age 3.
• Organizations: Municipality councillor, Between 1946 and 1957. 585 Cameron, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
(Part of a dissertation on Public Servants 1918·1957)
Mr. George Morrison was reeve of Cameron Municipality from 1918 unti l 1944. Council changes were not so frequent in the municipality as i n the town. John M. More, O. T. Bugg, Claude Rey, W. H. Galbraith, J . A. Agnew, J. A. McRorie, Marcel Frankard, T. E. Gibson, Gesner Bent , H. Martin and R. H. Gibson were the councilors during Mr. Morrison' s reeveship. John Agnew served one year as reeve when Mr. Morrison ret ired. He was followed by Arthur Galbraith in 1946 and Mr. Galbraith st ill holds the office in 1957. Serving as councilors from 1946 until 19 57 have been H. Martin, R. H. Gibson, John More, W. C. Keeler, J. G . McBurney, Jos. Agnew and John Bodin who completed the term of H . Martin who died in office after serving as councilor from 1924 to 19 55, the longest term of continuous service of any councilor in Camero n municipality.
• Fact 1, 1952. 586 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
(Part of a dissertation on Veterinarians in Hartney)
In a farming district a veterinary doctor was a valuable member of th e community. Hartney's first veterinary doctor was Dr. A. G. Hopkins , an Englishman who remained in the town for two years. He was followe d by Dr. D. D. Reid whose office was above that of the McDonald liver y barn. Dr. Reid left Hartney in 1904 and his place was taken by Dr. H ackett who cared for the farm animals until 1915. He was followed by D r. E. L. Houck a native of Boissevain district who practiced at Napink a for two years before coming to Hartney. Dr. Houck served the farmer s of Cameron Municipality and worked enthusiastically with the Agricul tural Society for the twenty four years that he resided in the town. I n 1939 he became Provincial Veterinarian of the Livestock Branch of th e Department of Agriculture for the Manitoba government and with his w ife and daughter, Lorraine, moved to Winnipeg to live. There Mrs. Houc k died in 1953 and Dr. Houck in 1957. There has been no qualified vete rinarian in Cameron Municipality since Dr. Houck's departure and sinc e that time Arthur Galbraith, now the reeve of the municipality, has f illed the need and been ready to act as a practical veterinarian whene ver his services were required. So faithfully has he cared for the far m animals that in 1952 at a gathering of almost 500 grateful citizen s in the town hall, a 1952 half-ton truck, paid for by the willing con tributions of those who appreciated his services, was presented to Ree ve Galbraith by R. A. Gibson on behalf of the community. A notable con tribution was that of Councilor J. G. McBurney who donated a we ll-fed hog to be raffled to add to the truck purchasing fund.
• Residence, 1967. 569 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
• Cemetery: Riverside Cemetery, 1991. 19 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
• Grave Marker: Riverside Cemetery, Nov 1991. Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
• Residence, 1983. 269 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
Joyce married Harriet Muriel Brooks, daughter of William Caleb Brooks and Mary Jane Robson, on 28 Dec 1922 in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 2,48.,59 (Harriet Muriel Brooks was born on 3 Jul 1900 in Elton, Manitoba, Canada,2,48,59 died in 1993 in Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada 19 and was buried in 1993 in Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada 19.)