Benjamin Byron Williams 2,48
- Born: 1 Mar 1886, Westhall District, Manitoba, Canada 168
- Marriage: Alice Irene Reid on 20 Jan 1909 in Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada 168
- Died: Oct 1966, Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada at age 80 168
- Buried: Souris, Manitoba, Canada 19
Other names for Benjamin were B. B. Williams and Barney Williams.666
The following was submitted by Ken Williams to the publication " Botany District The First 100 Years":
My father was born March 1st, 1886 at West hall. His parents moved an d worked in several districts and as a result the two children got th eir education where ever they were located. My father started school a t Westhall at the age of five and continued at Hartney, Souris and Swa ffham. My dad was active in sports and in his growing up years worke d in Souris a while. He also worked in a store in Hartney. Eventuall y the family moved back to the grandfather's farm section 2-7-22.
On January 20th, 1909 my father married Alice Irene Reid of the Breeze lawn District. They were married in Hartney and that spring began farm ing on S.W. 21-7-22 on the banks of the Souris river. Six children wer e born there, all getting their education at Forbes School. In April 1 928 my family moved to S.E. 20-7-22, still on the banks of the Souri s River. My youngest brother was born there. We were now living in th e Whitefield School District but continued our education at Forbes a s we were still the same distance from school. Some high schooling wa s taken at Deleau and Souris. Like everyone else we had little money t o buy food and clothing but we had plenty of work to do with a large h erd of cattle, some hogs, and the horses required to do the field work . We never knew what it was like to be out of a job. Most of our foo d was produced on the farm and most years there was an abundance of wi ld fruit which was canned and stored on our shelves for winter. We wer e busy, but living and growing up on the banks of the then clean Souri s River had its rewards. We could swim all summer and we had several m iles of lovely bush to explore and enjoy. In the Whitefield District w e had an active community club. For twenty five cents we had a seaso n of entertainment with dances, musicals, debates, lectures and card p arties at peoples homes. The old Whitefield Church was used for the co mmunity club. Dances were held in the old McClaughery house where Haro ld Waterman lived at that time, and occasionally at some other homes . In his younger years my dad was active in sports and again in his re tirement. Both parents were very active in local organizations and com munity projects. In later years they enjoyed many extended motortrips . My parents retired to Souris in 1948 and both remained active with t heir interests and organizations, never losing touch with the land an d old neighbors. My mother passed away in May 1964, my father in Octob er 1966, and my brother, Harvey, in February 1983.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 25 Jun 1906, Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada. 667 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 1, lines 36-40, household 1 0;
Benjamin B., age 20, with father Byron, age 46, mother Isabella M. C. , age 39, and brother John O., age 17, and servants James Fraser, ag e 31, and Emma Fraser, age 29.
• Occupation: Began farming on the banks of the Souris River on S.W. 21-7-22, 1909. 168 Six children were born to them, all receiving their education at Forbe s School.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 156 P. 4, Lines 39 - 42, Household 37, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; Byron, age 24, wit h wife Irene, age 22, and son Charles, age 1, with a domestic, age 18.
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1916, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 70 P. 11, Lines 48 - 50, P. 12, Lines 1 - 5, Household 125;
Benjamin, age 30 with wife Alice, age 27, and children Charles, age 6 , John, age 4, Jean, age 3, and Kenneth, age 1 with labourer Henry Chi c, age 21, and servant Grace Mores, age 14.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. 166 Brandon, Glenwood Municipality, Sec. 21, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, p. 10, l ines 32-39, household 99;
Benjamin, age 35, with wife Alice, age 32, children Charles, age 11, J ohn, age 10, Jean, age 8, Kenneth, age 6, Ruth, age 6 months, and serv ant Thomas Kirk, age 17.
• School: Swaffham School, Bef 1956, Cameron, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. 668 Children from farms north of the present Swaffham district attended th e Swaffham School when there was none nearer. Barney Williams , in 1956 a resident of Souris, was one of these. He has many storie s of the early years. His father, Barney Williams Senior, homes teaded10-7-22.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1966, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 19 Inscription:
A. IRENEBENJAMIN B.
1888 19641886 1966
• Occupation: Moved to S.E. 20-7-22, Apr 1928. 168 Still on the banks of the Souris River, the youngest son was born. No w living in the Whitefield district, but still the children attended F orbes school between halfway between each.
Benjamin married Alice Irene Reid, daughter of Edward James Reid and Jeannett Binions, on 20 Jan 1909 in Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada.168 (Alice Irene Reid was born on 30 Dec 1888, died in May 1964 in Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 168 and was buried in Souris, Manitoba, Canada 19.)