Benjamin Byron Williams 2,48
- Born: 1 Mar 1886, Westhall District, , Manitoba, Canada 151
- Marriage: Alice Irene Reid on 20 Jan 1909 in Hartney, Cameron, Manitoba, Canada 151
- Died: Oct 1966, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada at age 80 151
- Buried: Souris, , Manitoba, Canada 24
Other names for Benjamin were B. B. Williams and Barney Williams.824
The following was submitted by Ken Williams to the publication "Botany District The First 100 Years":
My father was born March 1st, 1886 at West hall. His parents moved and worked in several districts and as a result the two children got their education where ever they were located. My father started school at Westhall at the age of five and continued at Hartney, Souris and Swaffham. My dad was active in sports and in his growing up years worked in Souris a while. He also worked in a store in Hartney. Eventually the family moved back to the grandfather's farm section 2-7-22.
On January 20th, 1909 my father married Alice Irene Reid of the Breezelawn District. They were married in Hartney and that spring began farming on S.W. 21-7-22 on the banks of the Souris river. Six children were born there, all getting their education at Forbes School. In April 1928 my family moved to S.E. 20-7-22, still on the banks of the Souris River. My youngest brother was born there. We were now living in the Whitefield School District but continued our education at Forbes as we were still the same distance from school. Some high schooling was taken at Deleau and Souris. Like everyone else we had little money to buy food and clothing but we had plenty of work to do with a large herd of cattle, some hogs, and the horses required to do the field work. We never knew what it was like to be out of a job. Most of our food was produced on the farm and most years there was an abundance of wild fruit which was canned and stored on our shelves for winter. We were busy, but living and growing up on the banks of the then clean Souris River had its rewards. We could swim all summer and we had several miles of lovely bush to explore and enjoy. In the Whitefield District we had an active community club. For twenty five cents we had a season of entertainment with dances, musicals, debates, lectures and card parties at peoples homes. The old Whitefield Church was used for the community club. Dances were held in the old McClaughery house where Harold Waterman lived at that time, and occasionally at some other homes. In his younger years my dad was active in sports and again in his retirement. Both parents were very active in local organizations and community projects. In later years they enjoyed many extended motortrips. My parents retired to Souris in 1948 and both remained active with their interests and organizations, never losing touch with the land and old neighbors. My mother passed away in May 1964, my father in October 1966, and my brother, Harvey, in February 1983. 48
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 25 Jun 1906, Hartney, Cameron, Manitoba, Canada. 825 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 1, lines 36-40, household 10;
Benjamin B., age 20, with father Byron, age 46, mother Isabella M. C., age 39, and brother John O., age 17, and servants James Fraser, age 31, and Emma Fraser, age 29.
• Occupation: Began farming on the banks of the Souris River on S.W. 21-7-22, 1909. 151 Six children were born to them, all receiving their education at Forbes School.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. P. 4, Lines 39 - 42, Household 37, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; Byron, age 24, with wife Irene, age 22, and son Charles, age 1, with a domestic, age 18.
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1916, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 69 P. 11, Lines 48 - 50, P. 12, Lines 1 - 5, Household 125;
Benjamin, age 30 with wife Alice, age 27, and children Charles, age 6, John, age 4, Jean, age 3, and Kenneth, age 1 with labourer Henry Chic, age 21, and servant Grace Mores, age 14.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada. 149 Brandon, Glenwood Municipality, Sec. 21, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, p. 10, lines 32-39, household 99;
Benjamin, age 35, with wife Alice, age 32, children Charles, age 11, John, age 10, Jean, age 8, Kenneth, age 6, Ruth, age 6 months, and servant Thomas Kirk, age 17.
• Occupation: Moved to S.E. 20-7-22, Apr 1928. 151 Still on the banks of the Souris River, the youngest son was born. Now living in the Whitefield district, but still the children attended Forbes school between halfway between each.
• School: Swaffham School, Bef 1956, , Cameron, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. 826 Children from farms north of the present Swaffham district attended the Swaffham School when there was none nearer. Barney Williams, in 1956 a resident of Souris, was one of these. He has many stories of the early years. His father, Barney Williams Senior, homesteaded10-7-22.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1966, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 24 Inscription:
A. IRENEBENJAMIN B.
1888 19641886 1966
Benjamin married Alice Irene Reid, daughter of Edward James Reid and Jeannett Binions, on 20 Jan 1909 in Hartney, Cameron, Manitoba, Canada.151 (Alice Irene Reid was born on 30 Dec 1888, died in May 1964 in Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada 151 and was buried in Souris, , Manitoba, Canada 24.)