Leslie Gerald Johnson 24,33
- Born: 26 Oct 1916, Scotsguard, , Saskatchewan, Canada 33
- Marriage: Bessie Evelyn Coey
- Died: 21 Jun 1986, Scotsguard, , Saskatchewan, Canada at age 69
- Buried: 25 Jun 1986, Swift Current, , Saskatchewan, Canada
Buried at Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Gesthemane Section (69-B-1) in Swift Current, Sask.
Obituary from the Shaunavon Standard, July 3, 1986:
Leslie Johnson dies
Mr. Leslie Johnson, aged 69 years, of Scotsguard, died suddenly at his home in Scotsguard on Saturday, June 21, 1986.
Mr. Johnson was born in the Scotsguard district on October 26, 1916. He attended school at the Austinville School in the Scotsguard district. Mr. Johnson lived and farmed in the Scot-sguard area all of his life.
Leslie Johnson was pre-deceased by his parents and one sister, June McBurney.
He is survived by two daughters, Colette Johnson, of Saskatoon, and Christel Johnson, of Edmonton, two granddaughters, one sister, Mrs. Ann Crawford, of Saskatoon, as well as by one niece and one nephew.
Funeral services were held at Centre Street United Church in Shaunavon on Wednesday, June 25, 1986 at 1:00 p.m. with Rev. Stewart Robertson of-ficiating: Interment took place at Memory Gardens Cemetery in Swift Current. Binkley's Funeral Service was in charge of the arrangements.
Pallbearers were Ernie Deeg, Allen Deeg, Odell Johnson, Lawrence McMillan, Read Laird and Dwayne Korsberg.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Scotsguard, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 21 Bone Creek Municipality; Sec. 1, Twp. 10, Rge 17, W3; p. 5, lines 18-22, household 65;
Leslie Gerald, age 4 1/2, with father Lars T., age 41, mother Annie, age 41, and siblings June Evelyn, age 3, and Annie Laura, age 1 1/2.
• Emmigrated: from Canada through USA, 18 Jul 1922, , , , Sweden. 33 With father Lars, mother Anna, & siblings June. and Anne.
• Immigrated: from Sweden, 31 Jul 1923, Austinville District, Saskatchewan, Canada. 34 Arrived in Quebec aboard the Empress of Scotland sailing from Malino (sailing date 25 July 1923)
with father Lars, mother Anna, & siblings June and Anne.
• Residence: Austinville District, Saskatchewan, Canada. 33 on SE 1/4 1-10-17 until moving to Scotsguard in 1952
• Residence: the Telephone Building: Scotsguard, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 24 Les moved into the former Telephone Building in Scotsguard and lived there till he died in 1986.
• School: Austinville District, Saskatchewan, Canada. 33
• Family History: Next Year Country, 1980, Scotsguard, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 33 Leslie Johnson
I was born to Lars and Anna Johnson, on the S. E. 1-10-17 in 1916. I attended school at Austinville. When I started school, I couldn't speak a word of English, just Swedish, so found it very difficult. About the time I had to quit school and go help with the farm, I was just beginning to grasp the whole bit. Except for a short while with my parents in Sweden, I lived and farmed in the Austinville district, moving to Scotsguard in 1952. By this time, I had twin daughters of my own and they were ready to start school. I purchased the Alf Martin house, situated down by the skating rink in Scotsguard, and we moved in. I continued to the farm from town, and I had cattle and the works. Christel and Colette, my daughters, took their education in Scotsguard until it closed its doors in 1968. They finished their education in Shaunavon, going by bus everyday.
Our house was so cold that in 1972 when I had the opportunity to buy the former telephone office building, I moved there, and that's where I still reside. Farming got a little much for me, and I found my machinery wearing out, so I rented my land out in 1979 and I am semi-retired, me and my dog, Poncho.
The girls are on their own. Christel is married and living in Edmonton. Her husband is manager of a furniture business there and they have a little daughter, Tammy. Colette is living in Saskatoon, presently working as a receptionist in the Cancer Clinic.
• Cemetery: Memory Gardens, 1986, Swift Current, , Saskatchewan, Canada. 24 Inscription:
IN LOVING MEMORY
LESLIE G. JOHNSON
1916 - 1986
Leslie married Bessie Evelyn Coey, daughter of Samuel Coey and Eva. (Bessie Evelyn Coey was born on 29 Jan 1917 in Winnipeg, , Manitoba, Canada 995 and died on 21 Dec 2003 in Shaunavon, , Saskatchewan, Canada.)