Claude Paul Henry Steffens 395,399
- Born: 3 May 1855, Germany 399,1221
- Marriage: Sophia Richardson on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, Lancashire, England 1220
- Died: 17 Aug 1910, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada at age 55 395,1221
- Buried: Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 1222
Cause of his death was Gallstones.
Other names for Claude were Claus Paul Hinrich Steffens 1220 and Claus Powell Henry Steffens.389
Address: Steffens Family Cemetery
Mamette Lake, BC Canada
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Birth, 5 May 1855, Axehoe, Denmark. 1223
• Occupation: Mariner, 13 Oct 1883, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. 1220
• Residence: 22 Boreland Street, Bootte, 13 Oct 1883, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. 1220
• Immigrated, 1885, Canada. 395
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 1224 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3 , lines 1-6, household 12;
Henry, age 36, with wife Sophia, age 26, and children Sophia, age 4, P auline, age 3, Mary, age 2, and Claude, age 9 months, with lodgers Mar y A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 399 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7 , household 84;
Henry, age 45, with wife Sophia, age 35, and children Sophia, age 14 , Pauline, age 12, Mary, age 11, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6, Thomas W. , age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1910, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1222
• Obituary, Aug 1910, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. 1225 C. P. H. STEFFENS DEAD
Mamette Lake Pioneer Passes away Wednesday Evening at Kamloops H ospital Funeral Sunday
The many friends of the family will learn with regret of the de ath of C. P. H . Steffens which took place suddenly o n Wednesday nigh t at Kamploops hos pital to which place he -was remove d a few days ago from his home at Mamette Lake.
Mr. Steffens had been ailing for some time but did not think ther e was anything of a serious nature the matter. Dr. Curtin was call ed early last week a nd found the patient to be suffering from a s evere case of gall stones and advised his immediate removal to the ho spital for an operation. By the time he arrived at Kamloops, however , his condition was so serious that the operation could not be perf ormed and no hope for the saving of his life could be given.
Besides a devoted wife, deceased, who was in his 56th year, leave s eleven children to mourn his loss, as follows; Mrs . Fred Baker , Ashcroft: Mrs M: Baillie, Princeton road, George H., New Westminste r; Sophia, Rupert, Fritz, James, Thomas, Carl, Frank and Dick a t home.
C. P. H. Steffens was a native of Holstein, Germany, andcame to America when a boy.After remaining for some years in th e United States and South America, he came to Canada, settling in Ash croft 74 years ago. After a short time. he started a general stor e at Lytton, but of recent years has been engaged in farming. H e took up the
present ranch at Mamette lake about seven years ago.
Miss Sophia Steffens left for Kamloops and will return tomorrow , ac companied by Mrs. Baker, with the remains. Internment will take plac e at thy ranch on Sunday.
• Religion: Lutheran, Aug 1910, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 1221
• Alt. Death, 10 Aug 1910, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. 396
• Family History, 2014. 1226
• Alt. Birth, 5 May 1855, Itzemoe, Denmark. 1227
• Residence: Steffens Brothers Ranch, 1904. 395
• Occupation: Farmer, 1910, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 1221
Claude married Sophia Richardson, daughter of George Richardson and Mary Ann Lancaster, on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, Lancashire, England.1220 (Sophia Richardson was born on 4 Feb 1866 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England 399,1228,1229, christened in Bootle, Lancashire, England,1230 died on 25 Jun 1934 in Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 396,1229 and was buried in Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 396,1228.). The cause of her death was Myocarditis/Chronic Nephritis (5 years).
They were married in the Chapel of Mary in Boote Chapel in the Paris h of Walton-on-the-Hill in the County of Lancaster.