- Born: 4 Feb 1866, Liverpool, Lancashire, England 399,1228,1229
- Christened: Bootle, Lancashire, England 1230
- Marriage: Claude Paul Henry Steffens on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, Lancashire, England 1220
- Died: 25 Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada at age 68 396,1229
- Buried: Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 396,1228
Cause of her death was Myocarditis/Chronic Nephritis (5 years).
Another name for Sophia was Edith Steffens.1232
- Sophia was the youngest passenger on first train across C anada.
- Sophia was the oldest living person at time of her death who had bee n on the first train across Canada
- Sophia was the first nurse to graduate from Nursing school at Merrit t, BC
- Sophia was a "Plane Spotter" during WW1
Address: St. James Catholic Church
Bootle, Liverpool, Lancashire England
Address: Steffens Family Cemetery
Mamette Lake, BC Canada
Noted events in her life were:
• 1871 Census of England, 1871, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. 1233 Lancashire, Liverpool, St. Martin, District 45, p. 32, schedule 197, 1 9 Whitley St.;
Sophia, age 6, with father George, age 38, mother Mary Ann, age 40, an d siblings Joseph, age 9, and Cathe, age 3, with boarder Joseph Casey , age 40, and lodger Patrick Bradley, age 30.
• 1881 Census of England, 1881, Bootle, Lancashire, England. 1234 Lancashire, Knowsley, Bootle, p. 36, Schedule 175;
Sophia, age 16, as a Nursemaid for the Thos. Bailey family.
• Residence: 22 Boreland Street, Bootte, 13 Oct 1883, Liverpool, Lancashire, England. 1220
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 1224 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3 , lines 1-6, household 12;
Sophia, age 26, with husband Henry, age 36, and children Sophia, age 4 , Pauline, age 3, Mary, age 2, and Claude, age 9 months, with lodger s Mary A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 399 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7 , household 84;
Sophia, age 35, with husband Henry, age 45, and children Sophia, age 1 4, Pauline, age 12, Mary, age 11, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6, Thomas W ., age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Yale, Caribou, British Columbia, Canada. 400 British Columbia, Caribou District, Yale Twp., p. 1, lines 11-24, hous ehold 8;
Sophia, age 46, with children George Henry, age 26, Sophia, age 24, Pa uline, age 22, Mary, age 21, Antist (?), age 18, Fritz William, age 17 , James, age 15, Thomas William, age 12, Carl Gadfrey, age 10, Frank D onald, age 8, and John Richard, age 6, with grandson William Hulde Bal les, age 2, and granddaughter Ethel Baker, age 2 months.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 401 British Columbia, Caribou District, Mamette Lake Municipality, p. 6, l ines 13-20, household 72;
Sophia, age 55, with children Robert, age 26, Fritz William, age 25, J ames, age 23, Thomas, age 20, Carl, age 20, Frank, age 18, and John, a ge 16.
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1934, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1228 Buried alongside of her Husband on the Mammette Lake ranch.
• Obituary, Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1228 Another Pioneer Is Gone In Passing of Mrs. S. Steffens
A resident of B.C. for 48 years. and of Mamette Lake for 30 years pass ed away on Monday night in the person of Mrs. Sophia Steffens, aged 8 8 years. Her husband pre-deceased her but she leaves as immediate me mbers of her family three daughters and seven sons. They are, M iss Sophia Steffens at home on the Mamette Lake ranch, Mrs. Melville B aillie of Merritt, and Mrs. Fred Baker in the Cariboo; sons, Harry, o f Vancouver; Fritz W., of Keremeos; Robert, James, Thomas, Richard an d Carl, at the famil y's Mamette Lake ranches.
The deceased lady came of an English family and was born in Liverpo ol February 4, 1866, the daughter of George Richardson and the forme r Miss M. A. Lan caster, who came from Ireland. Since she was a youn g woman she had been engaged with her husband and growing fami ly in developing the splendid ranch properties so well known in Mam ette Lake district. Her passing will be regreted throughout a wide cir cle for she was highly respected for her many estimable qualities.
Funeral arrangements, were made for Thursday, with service b y Rev. Father Phalen in the Cathollc Church here. interment followin g alongside her husband on the Mamette Lake ranch.
• Residence: Mamette Lake Road, Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1229
Sophia married Claude Paul Henry Steffens, son of Hinrich Steffens and Unknown, on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, Lancashire, England.1220 (Claude Paul Henry Steffens was born on 3 May 1855 in Germany,399,1221 died on 17 Aug 1910 in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada 395,1221 and was buried in Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 1222.). The cause of his death was Gallstones.
They were married in the Chapel of Mary in Boote Chapel in the Paris h of Walton-on-the-Hill in the County of Lancaster.