- Born: 4 Feb 1866, Liverpool, , Lancashire, England 422,1404,1405
- Christened: Bootle, , Lancashire, England 1406
- Marriage: Claude Paul Henry Steffens on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, , Lancashire, England 1396
- Died: 25 Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada at age 68 418,1405
- Buried: Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 418,1404
Cause of her death was Myocarditis/Chronic Nephritis (5 years).1405
Another name for Sophia was Edith Steffens.1408
- Sophia was the youngest passenger on first train across Canada.
- Sophia was the oldest living person at time of her death who had been on the first train across Canada
- Sophia was the first nurse to graduate from Nursing school at Merritt, BC
- Sophia was a "Plane Spotter" during WW1 1398
Information provided by daughter Sophia Steffens.
Buried alongside of her Husband on the Mammette Lake ranch
Noted events in her life were:
• 1871 Census of England, 1871, Liverpool, , Lancashire, England. 1409 Lancashire, Liverpool, St. Martin, District 45, p. 32, schedule 197, 19 Whitley St.;
Sophia, age 6, with father George, age 38, mother Mary Ann, age 40, and siblings Joseph, age 9, and Cathe, age 3, with boarder Joseph Casey, age 40, and lodger Patrick Bradley, age 30.
• 1881 Census of England, 1881, Bootle, , Lancashire, England. 1410 Lancashire, Knowsley, Bootle, p. 36, Schedule 175;
Sophia, age 16, as a Nursemaid for the Thos. Bailey family.
• Residence: 22 Boreland Street, Bootte, 13 Oct 1883, Liverpool, , Lancashire, England. 1396
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 1402 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3, lines 1-6, household 12;
Sophia, age 26, with husband Henry, age 36, and children Sophia, age 4, Pauline, age 3, Mary, age 2, and Claude, age 9 months, with lodgers Mary A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 422 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7, household 84;
Sophia, age 35, with husband Henry, age 45, and children Sophia, age 14, Pauline, age 12, Mary, age 11, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6, Thomas W., age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, , Yale, Caribou, British Columbia, Canada. 423 British Columbia, Caribou District, Yale Twp., p. 1, lines 11-24, household 8;
Sophia, age 46, with children George Henry, age 26, Sophia, age 24, Pauline, age 22, Mary, age 21, Antist (?), age 18, Fritz William, age 17, James, age 15, Thomas William, age 12, Carl Gadfrey, age 10, Frank Donald, age 8, and John Richard, age 6, with grandson William Hulde Balles, age 2, and granddaughter Ethel Baker, age 2 months.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 424 British Columbia, Caribou District, Mamette Lake Municipality, p. 6, lines 13-20, household 72;
Sophia, age 55, with children Robert, age 26, Fritz William, age 25, James, age 23, Thomas, age 20, Carl, age 20, Frank, age 18, and John, age 16.
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1934, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 1404 Buried alongside of her Husband on the Mammette Lake ranch.
• Obituary, Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 1404 Another Pioneer Is Gone In Passing of Mrs. S. Steffens
A resident of B.C. for 48 years. and of Mamette Lake for 30 years passed away on Monday night in the person of Mrs. Sophia Steffens, aged 88 years. Her husband pre-deceased her but she leaves as immediate members of her family three daughters and seven sons. They are, Miss Sophia Steffens at home on the Mamette Lake ranch, Mrs. Melville Baillie of Merritt, and Mrs. Fred Baker in the Cariboo; sons, Harry, of Vancouver; Fritz W., of Keremeos; Robert, James, Thomas, Richard and Carl, at the famil y's Mamette Lake ranches.
The deceased lady came of an English family and was born in Liverpool February 4, 1866, the daughter of George Richardson and the former Miss M. A. Lan caster, who came from Ireland. Since she was a young woman she had been engaged with her husband and growing family in developing the splendid ranch properties so well known in Mamette Lake district. Her passing will be regreted throughout a wide circle for she was highly respected for her many estimable qualities.
Funeral arrangements, were made for Thursday, with service by Rev. Father Phalen in the Cathollc Church here. interment following alongside her husband on the Mamette Lake ranch.
• Residence: Mamette Lake Road, Jun 1934, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 1405
Sophia married Claude Paul Henry Steffens, son of Hinrich Steffens and Unknown, on 13 Oct 1883 in Bootle, , Lancashire, England.1396 (Claude Paul Henry Steffens was born on 3 May 1855 in , , , Germany,422,1397 died on 17 Aug 1910 in Kamloops, , British Columbia, Canada 417,1397 and was buried in Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 1398.). The cause of his death was Gallstones.1405
They were married in the Chapel of Mary in Boote Chapel in the Parish of Walton-on-the-Hill in the County of Lancaster. 1396