Sophia Steffens 399
- Born: 26 Sep 1886, England 1229
- Died: 5 Oct 1976, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada at age 90 396,1229
- Buried: 8 Oct 1976, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 396,1229
Cause of her death was Cerebral Arteriosclerosis (4 months).
Address: 1953 Nicola Ave.
Address: Steffens Family Cemetery
Mamette Lake, BC Canada
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth, 24 Sep 1886, England. 394,399
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 1224 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3 , lines 1-6, household 12;
Sophia, age 4, with father Henry, age 36, mother Sophia, age 26, and s iblings Pauline, age 3, Mary, age 2, and Claude, age 9 months, with lo dgers Mary A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, British Columbia, Canada. 399 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7 , household 84;
Sophia, age 14, with father Henry, age 45, mother Sophia, age 35, an d siblings Pauline, age 12, Mary, age 11, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6 , Thomas W., age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Yale, Caribou, British Columbia, Canada. 400 British Columbia, Caribou District, Yale Twp., p. 1, lines 11-24, hous ehold 8;
Sophia, age 24, with mother Sophia, age 46, and siblings George Henry , age 26, Pauline, age 22, Mary, age 21, Antist (?), age 18, Fritz Wil liam, age 17, James, age 15, Thomas William, age 12, Carl Gadfrey, ag e 10, Frank Donald, age 8, and John Richard, age 6, with nephew Willia m Hulde Balles, age 2, and neice Ethel Baker, age 2 months.
• Obituary, Oct 1976, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 1235 A highly respected member of a Nicola Valley pioneer family, Miss Soph ia Steffens passed away Tuesday morning October 5, 1976 at the age o f 90 years.
The funeral service will be held Friday, October 8 at 2 p.m. fr om Trinity United Church.
Born in Liverpool England on September 26, 1896, she came with her mot her, brothers and sisters to Canada to join her father who had settle d in Ashcroft.
The family travelled on the first train from Montreal to Vancouver, ge tting off at Ashcroft. Her father had travelled from Eastern Canada, t hrough the mountains on foot to reach his destination previously.
In 1904. her parents preempted land about 7 miles south of what is kno w known as Mamette Lake and the ranch is still in the hands o f the family with her nephews in charge.
Miss Steffens has the distinction of being the first nurs e to graduate in the Old Nicola Valley Hospital when a nurses trainin g program was initiated, graduating on June 29, 1917
Miss Steffens and her brother Rupert moved to Merritt from the ranch i n 1964 to live in a house on Granite Avenue where she was living at th e time at her death. Miss Steffens compiled a small history of the Nic ola valley entitled "The Land Of Chief Nicola" and amongst the newcome rs of Merritt. she is best known as the co-author of the song "The Bea utifull Nicola Valley" which had been adopted by the Me rritt Secondary School as their theme for a while.
Merritt Funeral Chapel is in charge of burial arrangements.
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 8 Oct 1976, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 396