Sophia Steffens 422
- Born: 26 Sep 1886, , , , England 1406
- Died: 5 Oct 1976, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada at age 90 418,1406
- Buried: 8 Oct 1976, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 418,1406
Cause of her death was Cerebral Arteriosclerosis (4 months).1406
Information provided by nephew Allan R. Steffens.
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth, 24 Sep 1886, , , , England. 416,422
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 1403 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3, lines 1-6, household 12;
Sophia, age 4, with father Henry, age 36, mother Sophia, age 26, and siblings Pauline, age 3, Mary, age 2, and Claude, age 9 months, with lodgers Mary A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 422 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7, household 84;
Sophia, age 14, with father Henry, age 45, mother Sophia, age 35, and siblings Pauline, age 12, Mary, age 11, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6, Thomas W., age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, , Yale, Caribou, British Columbia, Canada. 423 British Columbia, Caribou District, Yale Twp., p. 1, lines 11-24, household 8;
Sophia, age 24, with mother Sophia, age 46, and siblings George Henry, age 26, Pauline, age 22, Mary, age 21, Antist (?), age 18, Fritz William, age 17, James, age 15, Thomas William, age 12, Carl Gadfrey, age 10, Frank Donald, age 8, and John Richard, age 6, with nephew William Hulde Balles, age 2, and neice Ethel Baker, age 2 months.
• Obituary, Oct 1976, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 1412 A highly respected member of a Nicola Valley pioneer family, Miss Sophia Steffens passed away Tuesday morning October 5, 1976 at the age of 90 years.
The funeral service will be held Friday, October 8 at 2 p.m. from Trinity United Church.
Born in Liverpool England on September 26, 1896, she came with her mother, brothers and sisters to Canada to join her father who had settled in Ashcroft.
The family travelled on the first train from Montreal to Vancouver, getting off at Ashcroft. Her father had travelled from Eastern Canada, through the mountains on foot to reach his destination previously.
In 1904. her parents preempted land about 7 miles south of what is know known as Mamette Lake and the ranch is still in the hands of the family with her nephews in charge.
Miss Steffens has the distinction of being the first nurse to graduate in the Old Nicola Valley Hospital when a nurses training program was initiated, graduating on June 29, 1917
Miss Steffens and her brother Rupert moved to Merritt from the ranch in 1964 to live in a house on Granite Avenue where she was living at the time at her death. Miss Steffens compiled a small history of the Nicola valley entitled "The Land Of Chief Nicola" and amongst the newcomers of Merritt. she is best known as the co-author of the song "The Beautifull Nicola Valley" which had been adopted by the Merritt Secondary School as their theme for a while.
Merritt Funeral Chapel is in charge of burial arrangements.
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 8 Oct 1976, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 418