Mary Steffens 422
- Born: 19 May 1889, Ashcroft, , British Columbia, Canada 416,422,1421
- Marriage: Fred Baker on 1 May 1907 in 144 Mile House, British Columbia, Canada 1419,1420
- Died: 5 Oct 1975, Richmond, , British Columbia, Canada at age 86 418,1419,1421
- Buried: Ashcroft, , British Columbia, Canada 418
Another name for Mary was Minnie Steffens.1403
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth: Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 1420
• 1891 Census of Canada, 1891, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 1402 British Columbia, Yale Dist., N. Lytton Sub-dist., p.2, line 25, p.3, lines 1-6, household 12;
Mary, age 2, with father Henry, age 36, mother Sophia, age 26, and siblings Sophia, age 4, Pauline, age 3, and Claude, age 9 months, with lodgers Mary A. McGilvery, age 19, and Archibald McGilvery, age 1.
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada. 422 British Columbia, Yale West, Lytton, p. 7, lines 49-50, p.8, lines 1-7, household 84;
Mary, age 11, with father Henry, age 45, mother Sophia, age 35, and siblings Sophia, age 14, Pauline, age 12, Fritz, age 7, James, age 6, Thomas W., age 4, and Carl, age 1.
• Religion: Roman Catholic, 1 May 1907, 144 Mile House, British Columbia, Canada. 1420
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, , Yale, Caribou, British Columbia, Canada. 423 British Columbia, Caribou District, Yale Twp., p. 1, lines 11-24, household 8;
Mary, age 21, with mother Sophia, age 46, and siblings George Henry, age 26, Sophia, age 24, Pauline, age 22, Antist (?), age 18, Fritz William, age 17, James, age 15, Thomas William, age 12, Carl Gadfrey, age 10, Frank Donald, age 8, and John Richard, age 6, with nephew William Hulde Balles, age 2, and neice Ethel Baker, age 2 months.
• Cemetery: Ashcroft Cemetery, 1975, Ashcroft, , British Columbia, Canada. 418
• Obituary, Oct 1975, Loon Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 1419 Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Baker of Loon Creek were held on Friday, Oct. 10 at Zion United Church at 3 PM with Rev. Daniel Wong officiating and Schoening's s Funeral Service in charge of arrangements.
Mrs. Baker 86 years, passed away in Richmond Gen. Hospital where she was being treated while visiting with her daughter.
Mrs. Baker had lived in the Loon Lake District for more than 60 years. She was born across from Siska near Lytton and spent her childhood in Lytton and Kanaka Bar. Later moving to the Nicola Valley with the family. From there to Mile 144 on the Cariboo Rd. in 1905 where she met her late husband Fred Baker and was married in 1907. Came to Ashcroft in l907 and lived here until 1914, at which time they moved to the ranch on Loon Creek where the family was raised. Her husband predeceased her in 1962. and her daughter Ethel (Mrs. Bill Keighley) passed on in 1969.
-Pall Bearers were all long time friends of the family, W. A.. Parsons. R.J. Richards, W. Adams, C. Crawford, E. Ferguson and L. W. Cumming. Mrs. Elsie Kincaid played the organ for the hymn "Nearer My God to Thee". A tape recorder song "The Old Rugged Cross" sung by Frank Mierau and the Zion Choir was played during the service.
Members of the family each placed a carnation on the casket before interment.
Mrs. Baker Is survived by two sons, William of Vancouver, Jim at home on the ranch, daughter Kathleen (Mrs. K. Gronlund) of Richmond. Two brothers, Rupert Steffens, Merritt, Karl Steffens of Winfield, one sister, Sophia Steffens of Merritt, 4 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren.
Mary married Fred Baker, son of William Baker and Sarah, on 1 May 1907 in 144 Mile House, British Columbia, Canada 1419.,1420 (Fred Baker was born circa 1876 in Kent, England 1420.)
They were married by Rev. W. M. Chalmers. 1420