John Osborne Williams 2,168
- Born: 14 Oct 1889 168
- Died: 5 Apr 1969 at age 79 168
- Buried: Souris, Manitoba, Canada 19
Another name for John was Jack or J.O. Williams.
The following was submitted by Ken Williams to the publication " Botany District The First 100 Years":
He was born October 14, 1889 in this area, grew up here getting his ea rly education in various places and after moving back to the William s land, section 2-7-22, he attended school at Swaffham. He farmed wit h his parents and after his father's death in 1922 he continued the fa rming operation. They had a fairly large sheep operation through the y ears plus some cattle and horses required to do the field work. I alwa ys had much respect for Uncle Jack as a farmer; he loved his land an d did not make many mistakes.
He was one of the many excellent curlers that gained their experienc e at the old Swaffham Curling Rink and had many trophies to prove it . He was also a keen baseball fan, seldom missing a local game, and fo llowed the game closely on T.V. in later years. He also enjoyed loca l hockey and T.V. hockey games on Saturday night. Uncle Jack never mar ried and had to hire housekeepers and single men, or married couples , or whatever was available. In the mid forties when help was very sca rce we began working together quite a lot to the benefit of us both. R uth carried many meals to us when we were harvesting at his place. H e had given up on housekeepers in the early forties, and I guess afte r a week of batching he loved to come here for Sunday supper and did s o for many years. We could set our time by his arrival at 5:30 P.M.
In the early 50's Uncle Jack was wishing to cut back on some of his op eration. At that time we rented the E ½ of 2-7-22. He continued to wor k the west half himself until selling all the land to us in 1958. Eve n after giving up the active operation, he had a love of harvesting an d came out from Souris daily to lend a hand on truck or combine. One y ear having gone on an extended summer trip with my parents to the wes t coast and south, they did not get back to Canada until harvest was b eginning and intended to do some visiting along the way home. This wa s not fast enough for Uncle Jack. He told my Dad that he did not wan t to rush them and was going to take a bus to get back to help with ha rvest, so they all came home the next day. The following morning he wa s back on the job and things were running smoothly again. Wayne was i n high school at the time and we really needed those extra hands. Ove r the years we appreciated that extra lift at harvest time. After reti ring Uncle Jack lived with my folks in Souris. He was a member of th e Masonic Lodge and had served many years on the Botany School boar d and the board of directors of Menteith Pool Elevator Association. J. O. was a quiet person and if working with him one never wasted time i n idle talk. I never knew anyone to accomplish more in a days work. H e always knew what he was going to do next and did it. He died April 5 , 1969.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 25 Jun 1906, Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada. 667 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 1, lines 36-40, household 1 0;
John O., age 17, with father Byron, age 46, mother Isabella M. C., ag e 39, and brother Benjamin B., age 20, and servants James Fraser, ag e 31, and Emma Fraser, age 29.
• 1911 Census of Canada: Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1911, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 1975 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 4, lines 6-9, household 31;
John A., age 21, with father Benjamin J. B., age 50, and mother Isabel la, age 44, with domestic Thomas Smith, age 30.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1969, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 19 Inscription:
JOHN O. WILLIAMS
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 1916, Souris, Manitoba, Canada. 19,75 P. 12, Lines 45 - 46, Household 136, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; John, age 27, wi th father Byron, age 59.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. 1976 Manitoba, Brandon, Glenwood Municipality; Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1 ; p. 9, lines 40-42, household 90;
John, age 32, with father Byron, age 62, and boarder Charles Cullen, a ge 45.