John Osborne Williams 2,151
- Born: 14 Oct 1889 151
- Died: 5 Apr 1969 at age 79 151
- Buried: Souris, , Manitoba, Canada 24
Another name for John was Jack or J.O. Williams.
The following was submitted by Ken Williams to the publication "Botany District The First 100 Years":
He was born October 14, 1889 in this area, grew up here getting his early education in various places and after moving back to the Williams land, section 2-7-22, he attended school at Swaffham. He farmed with his parents and after his father's death in 1922 he continued the farming operation. They had a fairly large sheep operation through the years plus some cattle and horses required to do the field work. I always had much respect for Uncle Jack as a farmer; he loved his land and did not make many mistakes.
He was one of the many excellent curlers that gained their experience at the old Swaffham Curling Rink and had many trophies to prove it. He was also a keen baseball fan, seldom missing a local game, and followed the game closely on T.V. in later years. He also enjoyed local hockey and T.V. hockey games on Saturday night. Uncle Jack never married and had to hire housekeepers and single men, or married couples, or whatever was available. In the mid forties when help was very scarce we began working together quite a lot to the benefit of us both. Ruth carried many meals to us when we were harvesting at his place. He had given up on housekeepers in the early forties, and I guess after a week of batching he loved to come here for Sunday supper and did so for many years. We could set our time by his arrival at 5:30 P.M.
In the early 50's Uncle Jack was wishing to cut back on some of his operation. At that time we rented the E ½ of 2-7-22. He continued to work the west half himself until selling all the land to us in 1958. Even after giving up the active operation, he had a love of harvesting and came out from Souris daily to lend a hand on truck or combine. One year having gone on an extended summer trip with my parents to the west coast and south, they did not get back to Canada until harvest was beginning and intended to do some visiting along the way home. This was not fast enough for Uncle Jack. He told my Dad that he did not want to rush them and was going to take a bus to get back to help with harvest, so they all came home the next day. The following morning he was back on the job and things were running smoothly again. Wayne was in high school at the time and we really needed those extra hands. Over the years we appreciated that extra lift at harvest time. After retiring Uncle Jack lived with my folks in Souris. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and had served many years on the Botany School board and the board of directors of Menteith Pool Elevator Association. J.O. was a quiet person and if working with him one never wasted time in idle talk. I never knew anyone to accomplish more in a days work. He always knew what he was going to do next and did it. He died April 5, 1969. 48
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 25 Jun 1906, Hartney, Cameron, Manitoba, Canada. 826 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 1, lines 36-40, household 10;
John O., age 17, with father Byron, age 46, mother Isabella M. C., age 39, and brother Benjamin B., age 20, and servants James Fraser, age 31, and Emma Fraser, age 29.
• 1911 Census of Canada: Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1911, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 2171 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 4, lines 6-9, household 31;
John A., age 21, with father Benjamin J. B., age 50, and mother Isabella, age 44, with domestic Thomas Smith, age 30.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1969, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 24 Inscription:
JOHN O. WILLIAMS
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 1916, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 24 P. 12, Lines 45 - 46, Household 136, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; John, age 27, with father Byron, age 59.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada. 2172 Manitoba, Brandon, Glenwood Municipality; Sec. 2, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1; p. 9, lines 40-42, household 90;
John, age 32, with father Byron, age 62, and boarder Charles Cullen, age 45.