Pryscilla Olive Smith 2,48,390
- Born: 5 Oct 1904, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 2,48,130,391
- Marriage: James Steffens on 31 Dec 1931 in Port Haney, British Columbia, Canada 2,48,389
- Died: 24 Jun 1989, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada at age 84 97,392
- Buried: Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 390
Another name for Pryscilla was Olive Smith.2
Olive and Jim worked on the Steffens Ranch, "the Lazy L". Olive als o had a nursing carreer. She studied in Merritt and also at Vancouve r General Hospital. In her later years she developed diabetes.
She developed diabetes.
Event Description: Nicola Valley General Hospital
Address: Steffens Family Cemetery
Mamette Lake, BC Canada
Noted events in her life were:
• 1911 Census of Canada: Priscilla O., age 6, with father Robert A., age 36, mother Mary J., ag, 1911, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 130 e 32, and siblings Annie E., age 9, Mabel E., age 4, and Richard A., a ge 9 months.
Merritt, BC, p. 12, lines 26-31, household 188;
Priscilla O, age 6, with father Robert A, age 36, mother Mary J, age 3 6, and siblings Annie E, age 9, Mabel E, age 4, and Richard, age 9 mon ths.
• 1921 Census of Canada: Priscilla O., age 16, with father Robert A., age 46, mother Mary J., a, 1921, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 131 ge 41, and siblings Annie Enid, age 19, Mabel E., age 14, Richard, ag e 10, Muriel, age 7, and Robert, age 1.
Merritt, BC, p. 10, lines 46, household 104;
Priscilla O, age 16, with father Robert A, age 46, mother Mary J, ag e 41, and siblings Mabel E, age 14, Annie Enid, age 19, Richard, age 1 0, Muriel, age 7, and Robert, age 1.
• Residence: Jackson Avenue, 1921, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 131
• Occupation: Registered Nurse, 31 Dec 1931, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 389
• Religion: United Church, 31 Dec 1931, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 389
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1989, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 390
• Obituary, Jun 1989, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 391 On June 24 1989, Pryscilla Olive (Grama) Steffens passed away at Merr itt B.C. at the age of 84 years.
She i s survived by her loving children Jim (Elaine), Allan (Ruth), Pa t (Joe) Brkich all of Merritt: Donnie (Ken) Aquilon of Kelowna and Lar ry (Barbara) of Kamloops.
She also leaves to cherish her memory her grandchildren; Arthur, Debbi e, Elva, Brenda. Patti, David, Jaunita, Pam, Gordon. Mark, Beverly an d Margie; eight great grandchildren and many nieces, nephews and frien ds.
Olive will also be sadly missed by brothers-in-law Robert and Carrol S teffens, sisters-in-law Rose and Kay Steffens and Dorothy Smith, and d ear friends Pat and Paul Weston and Lois Steffens.
Olive was predeceased by her husband James in 1938, three sisters, an d two brothers.
Olive was born October 5th. 1904 in Vancouver and moved to the Nicol a Valley with her family as a young child. She graduated from Merrit t High School and started her nurses training at the Nicola Valley Cen tral Hospital in 1923. In 1925, Olive went to Vancouver where she comp leted her training at the Vancouver General Hospital in 1926. She work ed in Merritt for a short time, returning to the Vancouver General whe re she worked until 1931. In 1931 Olive married James Steffens and mov ed to the Lazy "R" Ranch at Mamette Lake, where she lived for 49 years . While there she raised five children. In 1980 she moved to Merritt w here she lived until her passing.
Rev. H. McDiarmid will conduct a memorial service is the Trinity Unite d Church on Friday. June 30, 1989 at 2:00 p. m.
In lieu of flowers, if friends desire , donations may be made to t h e Gillis House Extended Care Fund in memory of Olive.
Merritt Funeral Chapel are in
charge of arrangements.
• Memorial Service: Trinity United Church, 30 Jun 1989, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 391
• Cremation: Pine Grove Crematorium, 28 Jun 1989, Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. 97
• Grave Marker: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1989, Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada. 97
• Canadian Voter List, 1974, Merritt, British Columbia, Canada. 28
Pryscilla married James Steffens, son of Claude Paul Henry Steffens and Sophia Richardson, on 31 Dec 1931 in Port Haney, British Columbia, Canada 2,48.,389 (James Steffens was born on 10 Dec 1896 in Lytton, British Columbia, Canada,393,394 died on 1 Apr 1958 in Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 395,396,397 and was buried on 4 Apr 1958 in Mamette Lake, British Columbia, Canada 396,397,398.). The cause of his death was Coronary Occlusion/Artherosclerosis.
Miss Olive Smith daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Smith of this city, an d James Steffens, of Mamette Lake, were married in Haney on New Year' s Eve. Rev. P. Henderson, former minister of the Trinity Church here , officiated. The wedding ceremony was in progress at the stroke of t welve, the parting of the old year and the coming of the new. The coup le will reside at the Lazy L Ranch, Mamette Lake.
They were married in the United Church Manse.