Pryscilla Olive Smith 2,48,412
- Born: 5 Oct 1904, Vancouver, , British Columbia, Canada 2,48,122,413
- Marriage: James Steffens on 31 Dec 1931 in Port Haney, , British Columbia, Canada 2,48,411
- Died: 24 Jun 1989, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada at age 84 414
- Buried: Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 412
Another name for Pryscilla was Olive Smith.2
Olive and Jim worked on the Steffens Ranch, "the Lazy L". Olive also had a nursing carreer. She studied in Merritt and also at Vancouver General Hospital. In her later years she developed diabetes. 2,48
She developed diabetes.
Noted events in her life were:
• 1911 Census of Canada, 1911, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 122 Merritt, BC, p. 12, lines 26-31, household 188;
Priscilla O, age 6, with father Robert A, age 36, mother Mary J, age 36, and siblings Annie E, age 9, Mabel E, age 4, and Richard, age 9 months.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 123 Merritt, BC, p. 10, lines 46, household 104;
Priscilla O, age 16, with father Robert A, age 46, mother Mary J, age 41, and siblings Mabel E, age 14, Annie Enid, age 19, Richard, age 10, Muriel, age 7, and Robert, age 1.
• Residence: Jackson Avenue, 1921, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 123
• Occupation: Registered Nurse, 31 Dec 1931, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 411
• Religion: United Church, 31 Dec 1931, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 411
• Cemetery: Steffens Family Cemetery, 1989, Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada. 412
• Obituary, Jun 1989, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 413 On June 24 1989, Pryscilla Olive (Grama) Steffens passed away at Merritt B.C. at the age of 84 years.
She i s survived by her loving children Jim (Elaine), Allan (Ruth), Pat (Joe) Brkich all of Merritt: Donnie (Ken) Aquilon of Kelowna and Larry (Barbara) of Kamloops.
She also leaves to cherish her memory her grandchildren; Arthur, Debbie, Elva, Brenda. Patti, David, Jaunita, Pam, Gordon. Mark, Beverly and Margie; eight great grandchildren and many nieces, nephews and friends.
Olive will also be sadly missed by brothers-in-law Robert and Carrol Steffens, sisters-in-law Rose and Kay Steffens and Dorothy Smith, and dear friends Pat and Paul Weston and Lois Steffens.
Olive was predeceased by her husband James in 1938, three sisters, and two brothers.
Olive was born October 5th. 1904 in Vancouver and moved to the Nicola Valley with her family as a young child. She graduated from Merritt High School and started her nurses training at the Nicola Valley Central Hospital in 1923. In 1925, Olive went to Vancouver where she completed her training at the Vancouver General Hospital in 1926. She worked in Merritt for a short time, returning to the Vancouver General where she worked until 1931. In 1931 Olive married James Steffens and moved to the Lazy "R" Ranch at Mamette Lake, where she lived for 49 years. While there she raised five children. In 1980 she moved to Merritt where she lived until her passing.
Rev. H. McDiarmid will conduct a memorial service is the Trinity United Church on Friday. June 30, 1989 at 2:00 p. m.
In lieu of flowers, if friends desire , donations may be made to t he Gillis House Extended Care Fund in memory of Olive.
Merritt Funeral Chapel are in
charge of arrangements.
• Memorial Service: Trinity United Church, 30 Jun 1989, Merritt, , British Columbia, Canada. 413
Pryscilla married James Steffens, son of Claude Paul Henry Steffens and Sophia Richardson, on 31 Dec 1931 in Port Haney, , British Columbia, Canada 2,48.,411 (James Steffens was born on 10 Dec 1896 in Lytton, , British Columbia, Canada,415,416 died on 1 Apr 1958 in Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 417,418,419 and was buried on 4 Apr 1958 in Mamette Lake, , British Columbia, Canada 418,419,420.). The cause of his death was Coronary Occlusion/Artherosclerosis.
Miss Olive Smith daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Smith of this city, and James Steffens, of Mamette Lake, were married in Haney on New Year's Eve. Rev. P. Henderson, former minister of the Trinity Church here, officiated. The wedding ceremony was in progress at the stroke of twelve, the parting of the old year and the coming of the new. The couple will reside at the Lazy L Ranch, Mamette Lake.
They were married in the United Church Manse. 411,421