Claude Pollard 25
- Born: 14 Feb 1874, Carthage, Panola, Texas, USA 25
- Marriage: Julia Samuella Newton
- Died: 25 Nov 1942, Austin, Travis, Texas, USA at age 68 25
- Buried: Nov 1942, Austin, Travis, Texas, USA 25
Event Description: Texas State Cemetery - Plot Republic Hill, Section 1, Row B, Number 10
Noted events in his life were:
• Biography. Austin, Travis, Texas, USA
POLLARD, CLAUDE (1874-1942). Claude Pollard, lawyer, was born in Carth age, Texas, on February 14, 1874, the son of Hamilton and Sarah Jane ( Davis) Pollard. He attended public schools in Carthage and taught fo r a time before studying law. He was admitted to the bar in 1895 and d uring the next fourteen years served as Panola county attorney (1895-9 8), United States district attorney (1900-05), and assistant attorne y general of Texas (1905-09). He married Julia S. Newton on December 2 7, 1897; they had two children.
In 1909 Pollard moved to Kingsville; there he served as counsel fo r a railway company until 1916, when he went into private law practice . In Kingsville he was a leader in the movement that resulted in the o rganization of Kleberg County, with Kingsville as the county seat. H e also served as regent of South Texas State Teachers College (now Tex as A&I University) and was president of the State Bar of Texas in 1920 . He defeated James Allred for attorney general in 1926 and was reelec ted in 1928. He resigned in September 1929, before the end of his seco nd term, to become general counsel for the Railway General Managers‘ A ssociation of Texas. Pollard died in Austin on November 25, 1942, an d was buried in the State Cemetery.
• Grave Marker: Texas State Cemetery - Plot Republic Hill, Section 1, Row B, Number 10. 25 -11
Austin, Travis, Texas, USA
• 1920 Census of Texas, USA: Claude, age 45, with wife Julia, age 41, and children Lorraine, age 18, 3 Jan 1920. 2361 , and Claude, age 7, with father-in-law Samuel M. Newton, age 79, an d cook Minnie Slaughter, age 25.
Houston, Harris, Texas, USA
Claude married Julia Samuella Newton, daughter of Samuel M. Newton and Unknown. (Julia Samuella Newton was born on 6 May 1878 in Panola, Texas, USA,25 died on 18 Dec 1965 in Houston, Harris, Texas, USA 25 and was buried in Dec 1965 in Austin, Travis, Texas, USA 25.)