Richard Pettypiece 2,77
- Born: 16 Apr 1827, Sligo, Ireland 462
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Young on 27 Jul 1849 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada
- Marriage (2): Sarah Johnston on 22 Jan 1858 in Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada 72,77
- Died: 28 Sep 1910, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada at age 83 77,111
- Buried: 1910, Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 4
Richard Pettypiece was married to Elizabeth (Eliza) Young. They made t heir home in Michigan, U.S.A.. Two daughters were born to them, Prisc illa, the oldest, and Margaret Jane.
The circumstances surrounding their arrival in Canada are somewhat unc ertain. Richard may have come to Canada without the family, then retu rned to Michigan to find his wife had died, thus taking the two girl s back to Canada with him. OR Richard's wife may have died in Michigan , and then he decided to move to Canada with the girls. The date of a rrival in Canada is unknown (according to one Sadie Barbour).
They settled in Bruce County, Ontario, in Kinloss Township, Consessio n 4, West 1/2 of Lot 34. (They were assigned land on May 11, 1866) I t is unknown as to whether or not he had entered his second marriage a t this time. However, he did marry a second time, to one Sarah Johnst on. Four children were born to this marriage: Sabina, Lavina, Alvina , and Herbert.
Richard continued to visit his first wife's relatives in MIchigan, U.S .A. Not in his later years, however.
Richard Pettypiece had a brother John Pettypiece. It is possible he a lso had brothers named Robert and James.
Robert Pettypiece signed John McBurney's Orange Lodge Certificate in 1 871 (Turnberry Township). This was in Ontario. (KRM has the certifica te).
Robert Pettypiece lived in Hartney, his wife is believed to have bee n Suzannah. They are buried in Riverside Cemetery, Hartney, Manitoba . Joyce McBurney remembered Robert as an old man with a long white bea rd. Robert Pettypiece was born in 1834, and died September 21, 1909 a t the age of 75 years. Suzannah Pettypiece was born in 1834 and die d June 25, 1897 at the age of 63 years. (They lived in the Johnson ho use in Hartney.)
Susan Pettypiece of Ontario married William James (Will) Scharff. Sh e was born in 1870 and the first child, Elsie, was born in 1897. Thi s puts Susan at age 16-17 when she married. They moved to the Forbe s area in Manitoba in 1903. She died in 1921 and is buried in the sam e plot as Robert Pettypiece in Riverside Cemetery, Hartney, Manitoba.
James Pettypiece lived in Culross Township, Bruce County, Ontario. O n June 14, 1869 he received a patent for Con. 6, Lot 9. He was a crow n deed pioneer and had 58 acres.
NOTE: The majority of the information on the Richard Pettypiece famil y was provided by Mrs. Sadie Barbour, 45 Alfred St. Apt. 109, Wingham , Ontario and from Bill Tiffin.
Event Description: Langside Cemetery
Noted events in his life were:
• Cemetery: Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1910. 4
• Alt. Birth: Ireland, 16 Apr 1828. 4
• Emmigrated: From County Sligo, Ireland to Canada, 1830.
• 1851 Census of Canada: Richard, age 25, with wife Elizabeth, age 24, and daughter Prescilla Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada, 1851. 92 , age 2.
Canada West, Huron Co., Ashfield Twp., p. 5, line 31;
Richard, age 25, with wife Elizabeth, age 24, and daughter Priscilla , age 2.
• Occupation: Labourer Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada, 1851. 92
• Religion: Church of England (CE) Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada, 1851. 92 1851 Census Ashfield Twp. Huron Co. (Film C-11728)
• 1861 Census of Canada: Richard, age 33, with wife Sarah, age 29, and children Prycella, age 1 Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1861. 93 1, and Levina, age 2.
P. 32, Lines 31 - 34: Richard, age 33, with wife Sarah, age 29, and ch ildren Priscilla, age 11, and Lavina, age 2.
• Extended Family: Raised their grandson, Elymer Tiffin, After 1882. N 1/2 Of Lot 24 Con 10 West Wawanosh
• 1891 Census of Canada: Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 15 May 1891. 463 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 63, lines 19-23, household 266;
Richard, age 60, with wife Sarah, age 60, and children Lavina, age 30 , Alvina, age 23, and Herbert, age 21.
• 1901 Census of Canada: Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1901. 462 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 6, Lines 30-31, household 57;
Richard, age 72, with wife Sarah, age 74.
Also in this household is their son Herbert and his family.
• Grave Marker: Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1910. 4
• 1881 Census of Canada: Richard, age 50, with wife Sarah, age 46, and children Levina, age 20 Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1881. 202 , Alvina, age 16, and Herbert, age 11, with Sophnia Taylor, age 12.
• 1871 Census of Canada: Richard, age 40, with wife Sarah, age 40, and children Lavina, age 10 Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 1871. 306 , Alvina, age 7, and Herbert, age 1.
• Religion: Methodist Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, 15 May 1891. 463
• Occupation: Farmer Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada, Bef 28 Sep 1910. 111
Richard married Elizabeth Young on 27 Jul 1849 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada. (Elizabeth Young was born on 1 Jan 1828 in Ireland 77 and died on 1 Jan 1858 in Huron, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 77.)
They were married at St. James Anglican Church.
Married by license, Performed by Rev. H. J. Grasett, Rector of St. Jam es in 1849
Richard, a bachelor; and Eliza a spinster.
Richard next married Sarah Johnston, daughter of John Johnston and Ann Pettypiece, on 22 Jan 1858 in Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada 72.,77 (Sarah Johnston was born in 1824 in Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada,4,77 died on 1 Aug 1906 in Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 4,77 and was buried in 1906 in Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 4.)