Richard Pettypiece 2,62
- Born: 16 Apr 1827, , Sligo, Ireland 456
- Marriage (1): Sarah Johnston on 22 Jan 1858 in , Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada 59,62
- Marriage (2): Elizabeth Young on 27 Jul 1849 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada
- Died: 28 Sep 1910, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada at age 83 62,457
- Buried: 1910, Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 458
Cause of his death was Heart Failure.457
Another name for Richard was Richard Petipiece.
Richard Pettypiece was married to Elizabeth (Eliza) Young. They made their home in Michigan, U.S.A.. Two daughters were born to them, Priscilla, the oldest, and Margaret Jane.
The circumstances surrounding their arrival in Canada are somewhat uncertain. Richard may have come to Canada without the family, then returned to Michigan to find his wife had died, thus taking the two girls back to Canada with him. OR Richard's wife may have died in Michigan, and then he decided to move to Canada with the girls. The date of arrival in Canada is unknown (according to one Sadie Barbour).
They settled in Bruce County, Ontario, in Kinloss Township, Consession 4, West 1/2 of Lot 34. (They were assigned land on May 11, 1866) It is unknown as to whether or not he had entered his second marriage at this time. However, he did marry a second time, to one Sarah Johnston. Four children were born to this marriage: Sabina, Lavina, Alvina, and Herbert.
Richard continued to visit his first wife's relatives in MIchigan, U.S.A. Not in his later years, however.
Richard Pettypiece had a brother John Pettypiece. It is possible he also had brothers named Robert and James.
Robert Pettypiece signed John McBurney's Orange Lodge Certificate in 1871 (Turnberry Township). This was in Ontario. (KRM has the certificate).
Robert Pettypiece lived in Hartney, his wife is believed to have been Suzannah. They are buried in Riverside Cemetery, Hartney, Manitoba. Joyce McBurney remembered Robert as an old man with a long white beard. Robert Pettypiece was born in 1834, and died September 21, 1909 at the age of 75 years. Suzannah Pettypiece was born in 1834 and died June 25, 1897 at the age of 63 years. (They lived in the Johnson house in Hartney.)
Susan Pettypiece of Ontario married William James (Will) Scharff. She was born in 1870 and the first child, Elsie, was born in 1897. This puts Susan at age 16-17 when she married. They moved to the Forbes area in Manitoba in 1903. She died in 1921 and is buried in the same plot as Robert Pettypiece in Riverside Cemetery, Hartney, Manitoba.
James Pettypiece lived in Culross Township, Bruce County, Ontario. On June 14, 1869 he received a patent for Con. 6, Lot 9. He was a crown deed pioneer and had 58 acres.
NOTE: The majority of the information on the Richard Pettypiece family was provided by Mrs. Sadie Barbour, 45 Alfred St. Apt. 109, Wingham, Ontario and from Bill Tiffin. 2
Richard died on Lot 3, Cons. 34, Kinloss Twp.
Information provided by son Herbert of Whitechurch.
Noted events in his life were:
• Cemetery: Langside Cemetery: , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada.
• Alt. Birth, 16 Apr 1828, , , , Ireland. 458
• Emmigrated: From County Sligo, Ireland to Canada, 1830.
• 1851 Census of Canada, 1851, , Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada. 80 Canada West, Huron Co., Ashfield Twp., p. 5, line 31;
Richard, age 25, with wife Elizabeth, age 24, and daughter Priscilla, age 2.
• Occupation: Labourer, 1851, , Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada. 80
• Religion: Church of England (CE), 1851, , Ashfield, Huron, Ontario, Canada. 80 1851 Census Ashfield Twp. Huron Co. (Film C-11728)
• 1861 Census of Canada, 1861, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 81 P. 32, Lines 31 - 34: Richard, age 33, with wife Sarah, age 29, and children Priscilla, age 11, and Lavina, age 2.
• 1871 Census of Canada, 1871, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 459 Kinloss Twp., Bruce Co., Ontario, p. 29, lines 11-15, household 84;
Richard, age 40, with wife Sarah, age 40, and children Lavina, age 10, Alvina, age 7, and Herbert, age 1.
• 1881 Census of Canada, 1881, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 460 Kinloss Twp., Bruce Co., Ontario, p. 67, lines 8-13 household 288;
Richard, age 50, with wife Sarah, age 46, and children Levina, age 20, Alvina, age 16, and Herbert, age 11, with Sophnia Taylor, age 12.
• Extended Family: Raised their grandson, Elymer Tiffin, After 1882. N 1/2 Of Lot 24 Con 10 West Wawanosh
• 1891 Census of Canada, 15 May 1891, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 461 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 63, lines 19-23, household 266;
Richard, age 60, with wife Sarah, age 60, and children Lavina, age 30, Alvina, age 23, and Herbert, age 21.
• Religion: Methodist, 15 May 1891, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 461
• 1901 Census of Canada, 1901, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 456 Ontario, Bruce Co., Kinloss Twp., p. 6, Lines 30-31, household 57;
Richard, age 72, with wife Sarah, age 74.
Also in this household is their son Herbert and his family.
• Grave Marker, After 1906, Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 458
• Occupation: Farmer, Bef 28 Sep 1910, , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada. 457
Richard married Sarah Johnston, daughter of John Johnston and Ann Pettypiece, on 22 Jan 1858 in , Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada 59.,62 (Sarah Johnston was born in 1824 in , Marlborough, Carleton, Ontario, Canada,62 died on 1 Aug 1906 in , Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 62 and was buried in 1906 in Langside, Kinloss, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 458.)
Richard next married Elizabeth Young on 27 Jul 1849 in Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada. (Elizabeth Young was born on 1 Jan 1828 in , , , Ireland 62 and died on 1 Jan 1858 in , Huron, Bruce, Ontario, Canada 62.)
They were married at St. James Anglican Church.
Married by license, Performed by Rev. H. J. Grasett, Rector of St. James in 1849
Richard, a bachelor; and Eliza a spinster.