Melville Ewart McBurney 2,48
- Born: 18 May 1906, Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 1,2,48,384,475
- Marriage: Ethel May Nixon on 12 Dec 1936 in Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 2,48,384
- Died: 31 Aug 1995, Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada at age 89 384
- Buried: Souris, Manitoba, Canada 19,384
Another name for Melville was Mel McBurney.2
The following was submitted by Mel and Ethel McBurney to the pub lication "Botany District The First 100 Years":
In the spring of 1935, Melville McBurney rented the E½ of section 15-7 -22 from Ostler, Hammond and Nanton Mortgage Company. In December 193 6 he married Ethel Nixon and they farmed there until the fall of 194 2 when they moved to the
Pounder Farm' in the Forbes District.
They had two sons born while in the Botany District-Albert in 1938 an d Harvey in 1942. Albert lives in Ste. Angele de Monnoir, Quebec, is m arried and has one son. Harvey lives in Souris, is married and has thr ee daughters and one son.
All farming was done with horses.
Since they were on the border line between Botany and Forbes districts , they took an interest in both communities. They moved in 1949. Me l and Ethel are now retired and are living in Souris.
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 7, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 27 Jun 1906. 471 Hartney, Grassland, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Hartney, p. 6, lines 17-21, household 37;
Mel E., age 1 month, with father Joseph, age 34, mother Christina, ag e 36, and siblings Harry E., age 4, and Elmer E., age 2.
• 1911 Census of Canada: Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1911. 472 Brandon District, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 3, lines 48-50, p. 4, line s 1-5, household 30;
Melville, age 5, with father Joseph, age 38, mother Christina, age 42 , and siblings Harry (Henry), age 8, Elmer, age 6, and Muriel, age 2 m onths, with domestics Leonard Ketchem, age 15, and Olive Sherman, ag e 20.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1995. 19 Souris, Manitoba, Canada
MELVILLE E.ETHEL M.
1906 - 19951912 - 2003
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Melville, age 10, with father Joseph, age 44, mother Christina, age 47, 1916. 19,75 , and siblings Henry, age 13, Elmer Earl, age 11, and Muriel, age 5, w ith laborer George Jackson, age 28.
Souris, Manitoba, Canada
P. 12, Line 50, P. 13, Lines 1 - 6,, Household 138, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; M elville, age 10, with father Joseph, age 44, mother Christina, age 47 , and siblings Henry, age 13, Elmer Earl, age 11, and Muriel, age 5, w ith laborer George Jackson, age 28.
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921. 473 Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Manitoba, Brandon, Glenwood Mun.; Sec. 6, Twp. 7, Rge. 21, W1; p. 6, l ines 11-16, household 55;
Melville, age 15, with father Joseph, age 48, mother Christina, age 51 , and siblings Henry, age 18, Earl, age 16, and Muriel, age 10.
• Cremated, 1995. 384 Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Bev Boyko wrote:
"An interesting story - and I don't know if this is a particular "McBu rney" trait or not (my grandmother always said it was) - but my grandf ather refused to put the date of his birth on his stone - which he ha d purchased, engraved and placed well in advance - he said it was nobo dy's business what day he was born - he only put the year. He specific ally requested cremation too - no particular reason that I ever heard . My grandmother on the other hand didn't like to discuss personal mat ters such as death so we had to make that decision for her and she wa s not cremated."
Melville married Ethel May Nixon, daughter of William Nixen and Sarah Elizabeth Jarvis, on 12 Dec 1936 in Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 2,48.,384 (Ethel May Nixon was born on 30 Mar 1912 in Souris, Manitoba, Canada,2,48,59,384 died on 31 Jul 2003 in Glenwood, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada 384 and was buried in Souris, Manitoba, Canada 19,384.)