Melville Ewart McBurney 2,48
- Born: 18 May 1906, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada 1,2,48,410,520
- Marriage: Ethel May Nixon on 12 Dec 1936 in Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada 2,48,410
- Died: 31 Aug 1995, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada at age 89 410
- Buried: Souris, , Manitoba, Canada 24,410
Another name for Melville was Mel McBurney.2
The following was submitted by Mel and Ethel McBurney to the publication "Botany District The First 100 Years":
In the spring of 1935, Melville McBurney rented the E½ of section 15-7-22 from Ostler, Hammond and Nanton Mortgage Company. In December 1936 he married Ethel Nixon and they farmed there until the fall of 1942 when they moved to the `Pounder Farm' in the Forbes District.
They had two sons born while in the Botany District-Albert in 1938 and Harvey in 1942. Albert lives in Ste. Angele de Monnoir, Quebec, is married and has one son. Harvey lives in Souris, is married and has three daughters and one son.
All farming was done with horses.
Since they were on the border line between Botany and Forbes districts, they took an interest in both communities. They moved in 1949. Mel and Ethel are now retired and are living in Souris. 48,410
Noted events in his life were:
• 1906 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta): Sec. 7, Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 27 Jun 1906, Hartney, Cameron, Manitoba, Canada. 516 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Hartney, p. 6, lines 17-21, household 37;
Mel E., age 1 month, with father Joseph, age 34, mother Christina, age 36, and siblings Harry E., age 4, and Elmer E., age 2.
• 1911 Census of Canada: Twp. 7, Rge. 22, W1, 1911, , Brandon District, Manitoba, Canada. 517 Manitoba, Brandon Dist., Glenwood Mun., p. 3, lines 48-50, p. 4, lines 1-5, household 30;
Melville, age 5, with father Joseph, age 38, mother Christina, age 42, and siblings Harry (Henry), age 8, Elmer, age 6, and Muriel, age 2 months, with domestics Leonard Ketchem, age 15, and Olive Sherman, age 20.
• 1916 Census of Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta), 1916, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 24 P. 12, Line 50, P. 13, Lines 1 - 6,, Household 138, Twp. 7, Rge. 22; Melville, age 10, with father Joseph, age 44, mother Christina, age 47, and siblings Henry, age 13, Elmer Earl, age 11, and Muriel, age 5, with laborer George Jackson, age 28.
• Cemetery: Souris & Glenwood Cemetery, 1995, Souris, , Manitoba, Canada. 24 Inscription:
MELVILLE E.ETHEL M.
1906 - 19951912 - 2003
• 1921 Census of Canada, 1921, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada. 518 Manitoba, Brandon, Glenwood Mun.; Sec. 6, Twp. 7, Rge. 21, W1; p. 6, lines 11-16, household 55;
Melville, age 15, with father Joseph, age 48, mother Christina, age 51, and siblings Henry, age 18, Earl, age 16, and Muriel, age 10.
• Cremated, 1995, Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada. 410 Bev Boyko wrote:
"An interesting story - and I don't know if this is a particular "McBurney" trait or not (my grandmother always said it was) - but my grandfather refused to put the date of his birth on his stone - which he had purchased, engraved and placed well in advance - he said it was nobody's business what day he was born - he only put the year. He specifically requested cremation too - no particular reason that I ever heard. My grandmother on the other hand didn't like to discuss personal matters such as death so we had to make that decision for her and she was not cremated."
Melville married Ethel May Nixon, daughter of William Nixen and Sarah Elizabeth Jarvis, on 12 Dec 1936 in Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada 2,48.,410 (Ethel May Nixon was born on 20 Mar 1912 in Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada,2,48,410 died on 31 Jul 2003 in Glenwood Municipality, , Manitoba, Canada 410 and was buried in Souris, , Manitoba, Canada 24,410.)