Joseph William Clifford 4
- Born: 15 Aug 1861, Pipestone, Pipestone County, Minnesota, USA 4,29
- Marriage: Annie Marie Brown on 24 Apr 1887 in Woodstock, Pipestone, Minnesota, USA 2475
- Died: 22 Jul 1949, Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada at age 87 4
- Buried: 1949, Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada 4
Event Description: Saint Mary Roman Catholic Cemetery
Noted events in his life were:
• Grave Marker: Saint Mary Roman Catholic Cemetery, 1949. 672 Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada
• 1921 Census of Canada: Joseph W, age 59, with wife Annie, age 54, and children Daniel, age 25, 1921. 27 , Stephen, age 18, and Lawrence, age 13.
Bone Creek, Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada
• Immigrated: from USA, 1911. 27 Bone Creek, Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada
• 1910 Census of North Dakota, USA: Joseph W, age 48, with wife Annie, age 40, and children William, age 2, 4 May 1910. 669 1, James, age 19, Isabelle, age 16, Daniel, age 12, Annie, age 10, Ste phen, age 8, Vernon, age 6, and Lawrence, age 3.
Stevens, Ramsey, North Dakota, USA
• Border Crossing, 20 Oct 1936. 29 Turner, Blaine, Montana, USA
He crossed with his sons Vernon and Steve, and a friend Alfred Meek. H is permanent addres was Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, where his wife Anni e was his contact person.
Their destination was Spokane Washington to visit (for 6 months) his s on Dan at 3127 East Liberty Ave.
He is described ad 5' 7", ruddy complexion, white hair, blue eyes, an d wearing glasses.
He is said to own 3/4 Section of land near Scotsguard, Saskatchewan.
He was naturalized in Canada Sept. 28, 1915.
• Naturalization, 28 Sep 1915. 29 Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada
• 1900 Census of Minnesota, USA: Joseph, age 38, with wife Annie, age 29, and children Willie J., age 1, 11 Jun 1900. 8 2, James R., age 10, Isabel, age 6, Daniel, age 4, and Annie, age 10 m onths, with servant Arthur Halstead, age 16.
Douglas, Minnesota, USA
• 1880 Census of Minnesota, USA: Joseph, age 23, with father William, age 65, mother Ann, age 45, and s, 2 Jun 1880. 2476 iblings Anna M., age 17, Daniel, age 15, John T., age 13, and Franci s W. M., age 9.
Gray, Pipestone, Minnesota, USA
• 1875 Census of Minnesota, USA: Joseph W., age 14, with father William, age 59, mother Ann, age 48, an, 1875. 2477 d siblings James, age 22, Anna, age 12, Daniel, age 10, John, age 18 , and Francis W., age 4.
Granby, Nicollet, Minnesota, USA
• Land: NE Sec. 3, Twp. 10, Rge. 16, W3, 9 Aug 1916. 54 Bone Creek, Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, Canada
• Family History, 1980. 42 Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada
The Clifford Family
Joseph Clifford married Anne Marie Brown at Pipestone County, Minnesot a and they moved to North Dakota in 1906. They lived there until 1912 , when Joseph and two of his sons, Jim and Bill filed on homesteads i n the North Scotsguard and Admiral districts. The family travelled b y train to Webb, Sask. in June of 1912 and rode out to their homestead s on a load of lumber. They lived in a granary by the creek while thei r house was being built. The lumber for Their frame house had to be ha uled from Webb, thirty five miles away. When their house was completed , it was used for many functions with neighbours coming from a radiu s o! twenty miles to attend weekly socials.
Isabelle Clifford used the kitchen for a classroom to teach her siste r and younger brothers, as well as neighborhood children, until Austin ville school was built, in 1913. The Clifford children then attended s chool there until Clifford school was built in 1915.
Anne Clifford had many talents, she was an excellent cook, enthusiasti c gardener and she travelled about caring for the sick and acting a s a midwife.
Joseph Clifford was a quiet man and was always ready with a helping ha nd. He loved to dance and whenever a crowd gathered at his home, the y would have a square dance.
Joseph and Anne had 9 children:
William the oldest, filed on a homestead adjoining his father's land , he never married and he operated a Watkins wagon for many years, usi ng a team and wagon. In 1923, his horses shied at a cow and tipped th e wagon and contents onto the road. He then bought a Model T for his b usiness, he lived in Scotsguard from 1920-1923 and Lawrence, Vernon an d Stephen stayed with him and attended Scotsguard school.
James homesteaded north of Admiral and returned to North Dakota in 191 3, to marry Florence Whitcomb. They returned and lived on their homest ead until 1933, when Jim passed away They had three boys and a girl; H arold, Loretta, Gerald and Bill.
Dan joined the Army in 1917 but the war was over before he saw activ e service. When he returned he bought Henry Quam's homestead, the sit e of the present Ray McGovern farm. Dan loved to trade horses and wa s also the life of a party with many practical jokes. Dan married Mari on Lingren in 1925, moving to Shaunavon around 1935. In 1962, Dan pass ed away, while living in Picture Butte, Alberta. Marion now resides a t Calgary. Dan and Marion had three children; Bob. Gene and Dale.
Steve worked at home with his father until 1927, when he and his uncl e John Clifford went to the Peace River Country to take up homesteads . Steve remained there for four years and then returned to Scotsguard , and he and his brother, Lawrence, farmed the home farm until 1967, w hen it was sold to Ray McGovern. Steve married Elizabeth McGovern in 1 965. They are now retired and living in Shaunavon.
Vernon attended Normal School in Moose Jaw, after graduating from Hig h School in Shaunavon. He taught school at Claydon for a year. He marr ied Emily Meek from Shaunavon and they farmed twelve miles south of Sh aunavon for a few years and then moved to another farm. They are now r etired and living in Haney, B.C. They had three children: James, Colle en and Paul.
Lawrence being the youngest boy, farmed at home with his father and br others. Lawrence always had a love for horses and made a trip to Ontar io with a horse buyer and remained there to work for him for awhile. L awrence is now retired and living in Shaunavon.
Isabelle married Jack McGovern and they had nine children: Winnifred , Lucille, Joseph, Kathleen, John, Patricia, Gertrude, Vernon and Dona ld.
Annie married Art McGovern and they had five children, Helen, Jim, Tom , Ted and Betty.
Francis was killed, when kicked by a horse, before the family moved t o Canada He was just six years old at the time.
Mrs. Clifford passed away in 1936 and Mr. Clifford in 1959.
• Moved: from Minnesota, 1906. 42 North Dakota, USA
• Land: NW Sec. 3, Twp. 10, Rge. 16, W3, 8 Jun 1921. 54 Bone Creek, Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, Canada
• Moved: from North Dakota, Jun 1912. 42 Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada
The family travelled by train to Webb, Sask. in June of 1912 and rod e out to their homesteads 35 miles away on a load of lumber.
Joseph married Annie Marie Brown, daughter of Phillip Brown and Unknown, on 24 Apr 1887 in Woodstock, Pipestone, Minnesota, USA.2475 (Annie Marie Brown was born on 16 Mar 1870 in Oshawa, Nicollet County, Minnesota, USA,4 died on 2 Apr 1937 in Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada 4 and was buried in 1937 in Scotsguard, Saskatchewan, Canada 4.)